- Posted by: David Rees MS
- Category: News
Aberavon’s AM, David Rees, has welcomed the Welsh Government’s announcement to pilot their new childcare offer across six Local Authorities. The offer is the most generous childcare offer for working parents in the UK. Mr Rees believes that the scheme, when fully rolled out across Wales, will reduce the strain on family incomes across Aberavon and help ensure childcare is not a barrier to parents getting a job or continuing to work.
The projects offering 30 hours of free early education and childcare per week to 3 and 4 year olds will be piloted from September 2017 in specified locations within Gwynedd, Anglesey, Flintshire, Swansea, Blaenau Gwent and Rhondda Cynon Taf.
Testing the offer will allow The Welsh Labour Government to make sure they:
- align the hours of childcare with the hours of Early Years Foundation Phase in a way that works for parents and children;
- have the right number of childcare places in the right parts of Wales;
- develop and expand the workforce, with improved training;
- support the sector to grow, providing the flexibility parents need;
- learn what works and what doesn’t, building on experience and evidence to deliver for all working parents in Wales.
David Rees is also pleased that Welsh Government has recognised there is a shortage of childcare and have committed to working with the sector to help it grow and thrive.
Mr Rees said: “Parents in Aberavon regularly tell me that the cost of childcare is a real worry for them. Helping them meet the cost of childcare and reducing the strain it places on family incomes will benefit not just them but our entire community.”
“Today’s announcement is a huge step towards delivering this pledge in a way that will work for parents and work for those that will deliver this care”
“There are still challenges to be overcome but I’m confident that our Welsh Labour Government are listening and striving to ensure that working parents in Wales receive the best childcare package available anywhere in the UK”